This is one of those dishes that we tried once for a weeknight dinner, and loved it so much, that it’s now turned into a staple in our house. It’s fast, easy, healthy, and filling. It also requires very few ingredients, so it’s a great option for anyone who wants to avoid searching for a lot of different items at the grocery store.
Recipe adapted from here.
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
Dash of garlic powder
1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into strips or chunks
A few dashes each of salt and pepper
1 large head of broccoli, washed and cut into small pieces
1/4 cup chicken broth
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Place the broccoli with 1/4 cup water in a medium size pan. Cover the pan and bring it to boil, then cook 2-5 minutes, until a fork can easily pierce the broccoli.
2. Heat the olive oil in large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until they’re soft, about 3 minutes. Add a pinch of garlic powder if you desire.
3. Season the chicken with salt and pepper on all sides. Add the chicken to the pan with the onions and cook until the meat is no longer pink.
4. Add the chicken broth, lemon zest, and lemon juice and continue cooking for a few more minutes until the chicken looks fully cooked.
5. And the broccoli and parmesan and mix. Continue cooking just until the cheese melts. Then take the pan off heat.
6. Serve in bowls and top with extra parmesan if you like. You could also serve over rice if you want a bigger meal.