Sometimes it’s really great to have easy and yet delicious desserts that you can whip up with no planning. I have a couple items that I regularly make when I need to do a last minute dessert for a coworker’s birthday, a friend’s bad day, or just because I’m craving dessert RIGHT now. The key is really that the ingredients all reside in your kitchen. These blueberry crumb bars are about as easy as it comes, and if you’re like me, and keep frozen fruit in the freezer, you’ll generally have all these ingredients around.
Recipe adapted from here.
4 cups of blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup sugar
3 teaspoons cornstarch
1 cup sugar
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 sticks butter, softened
1 pinch ground cinnamon (optional)
Zest of 1 lemon (you can skip if you don’t have one)
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 9 x 13 pan by spraying it with cooking spray or buttering it.
2. In the bowl of your electric mixer, mix 1 cup of sugar, the flour, and the baking powder. Add the cinnamon and lemon zest.
Mix until it is fully incorporated. Add the butter and egg and use your hands or a fork to roughly mix. The dough will be crumbly, but that’s ok.
3. Use your hands to flatten half of the dough into the pan.
4. Mix together your blueberries, 1/2 cup sugar, and cornstarch in a small bowl.
Now sprinkle these (and all the loose sugar) on top of the dough in the pan. Then use your hands to crumble the other half of the dough on top.
5. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the tops of the dough start to brown. Make sure you let it sit for 45 minutes or longer before cutting it. If you keep these in an airtight container, they last for up to a week.