You may have noticed by now that I like bar recipes. I seem to post them a lot. Maybe it’s because they have fruit in them and I tell myself they’re not quite as unhealthy, who knows. But here’s another bar recipe. And I’m sure I always say this, but these are amazing. I made them over the holidays and even ended up eating some of the ones I’d packed up to share with others. I just couldn’t resist.
Recipe adapted from here.
Ingredients (makes about 24 bars)
1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 1/2 cups oats
1 12 oz. jar of seedless raspberry jam (I recommend doing something nicer than Smuckers. I did the regular one from Trader Joe’s which worked well)
1. Preheat your oven to 375. Get a 9 x 13 pan prepared by lining it with parchment paper and then spraying the parchment with cooking spray.
2. Put half of the coconut, 3/4 cup, on a baking sheet and toast for about 8 minutes. You want it to turn golden, but check it every few minutes so it doesn’t get too brown.
3. Mix the flour and sugar in a food processor, pulsing until it’s thoroughly mixed. Add the butter and continue pulsing until a ball of dough starts to form.
4. Remove the dough and place it into a bowl and add the oats and the TOASTED coconut by hand.
5. Remove 3/4 cup of the dough and set aside. Press the remaining dough into the bottom of the pan. Use your fingers to press it down firmly. Spread the jam on top in an even layer. Crumble the remaining dough on top. Finish with the the UNTOASTED coconut on top.
6. Bake the bars for 20 to 25 minutes. Let them cool in the pan before removing them on the parchment paper. I recommend using a pizza cutter to cut them into bars once they have completely cooled. These will last for several days.