So I think you guys know where I stand on easy desserts, I think they’re great. They’re perfect for dinner parties, especially if you don’t have a ton of time to prepare. My mom made me an amazing crostata while I was home this summer, and I’d been wanting to make my own. I did this with a classic summer fruit, peaches. But if you wanted to make this in the fall or winter, you could easily use a different fruit, like apples.
Recipe adapted from here.
1 cup flour
6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
2-4 tablespoons water
4 peaches, cut into slivers
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1. In your Cuisinart, combine flour and butter. Pulse until you have crumbly texture.
2. Add two tablespoons of cold water. Pulse a few times. Now take the lid off and see if you can press the dough together to form a ball. If not, add additional ice water until you can. Go slowly though, you don’t want to add too much water.
3. Place the dough on a floured surface and roll into a 7-inch wide disk. Place the dough in a plastic bag and use your hands to form a disk if it has come apart, or if there are any cracks. Refrigerate for at least 1.5 hours, but you can do it for up to two days if necessary.
4. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place parchment paper or a silicone liner on a baking sheet.
5. Remove dough from fridge. While still in the bag, use a rolling pin to start to flatten the disk. Cut off ziplock bag and place dough on a floured surface. You want to roll it out into a 13-inch wide circle. Once you have the necessary size, roll it up on the rolling pin, and move it to the lined baking sheet. Place this in the fridge for 15 minutes.
6. After removing the dough from the fridge, place the fruit around it in a circle, leaving a 1.5 inch rim around the edge. Press the rim up around the fruit to create a wall.
7. Brush crust with melted butter, and drizzle extra on fruit. Sprinkle white sugar on crust and brown sugar on fruit.
8. Bake for 40-50 minutes, until the crust is a golden brown.
9. Slice and serve warm. You can eat it with vanilla ice cream if you prefer.