By now you know I love waking up on Sunday mornings and baking something on a whim. It’s the reason I keep our apartment stocked with flour, sugar, butter, eggs, and milk. This was another one of my Sunday morning adventures. Scones are a great thing to make for a brunch for friends or to surprise your significant other or roommate with because they are really easy to make!! Very few ingredients involved and no complicated steps. So go to your nearby farmer’s market, buy some blackberries (or sub in another berry) and make some scones!
Recipe adapted from here.
1 cup buttermilk
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup cold butter, cut into chunks
1 large egg
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup frozen blackberries (I forgot to freeze mine and it still worked out, but would be easier with frozen ones)
2 tablespoons milk (for brushing)
Honey for serving
1. Heat your oven to 425 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet by spraying it with cooking spray or line it with a silicone liner or parchment paper.
2. In a food processor, mix the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the butter chunks and pulse until coarse. Pour the mixture into a bowl and make a hole in the middle. Put the egg, vanilla extract, and buttermilk in the middle and mix with a spatula until it turns into dough. Add the blackberries. If you are not using frozen blackberries, be careful mixing them in so you don’t break them up.
3. Dust the bowl and dough with flour and knead it until firm. Remove the dough from the bowl and either on the pan, or on a cutting board, flatten it into a 1-inch thick circle. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into wedges.
4. Spread the wedges out on your prepared pan. Place the 2 tablespoons milk in a bowl and brush each scone with it. Bake the scones for 15-19 minutes until they are light brown.
5. Drizzle the scones with honey before serving.