As I’ve probably mentioned before, I find easy healthy recipes that I like and then I tend to make them a LOT for dinner on weeknights. This is a new discovery, and we’ve already made it three times. In addition to being delicious, it all cooks in one pan and makes for easy clean up. Plus, you can alter the toppings to your liking, and can also serve it in tortillas if you want to make tacos. So go ahead, make it once. And I promise you’ll start making it all the time!
Recipe adapted from here.
1 pound chicken, cut into small pieces
4 tablespoons olive oil, split
1 onion, diced
1 cup of uncooked extra-long grain rice
1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes, drained
1 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
Salt and pepper
Diced green onions
1. Pour half of the olive oil in a pan on the stove over medium-low heat. Add the chopped onions and cook until they start to soften. Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink.
2. Move the chicken to one side of the pan and pour the rest of the olive oil in the other side of the pan. Then add the rice and cook for 5-10 minutes until rice starts to brown a little.
3. Add black beans, canned tomatoes, chicken broth, garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin. Bring the pan to a simmer, then cover and reduce to low.
4. Cook for 20 minutes until the liquid has evaporated and rice is fully cooked. Turn off the heat and season with salt and pepper. Then add the cheese so it can melt.
5. Once the cheese is melted, add whatever other toppings you like.